Wednesday, February 28, 2007

eggplant and potato stew

you like potato, I like potahto
you like tomato, I like tomahto
potato, potahto, tomato, tomahto
let's call the whole thing off

eggplant, aubergine
Either way, it's still stew season as far as I'm concerned.

The first time I made the Italian Vegetable and Potato Stew from Ashbury's Aubergines was last December and it was a horrible catastrophe. I tried to double some parts and triple others. My pot was overflowing. There was tomato splatter on the walls. I felt very Bridget Jones. Eggplants take a lot of patience! But apparently it's called stew for a reason, and eventually it became quite tasty, much to my relief as I had a bunch of hungry people to feed! I made it for the third time on Saturday and I think I've now got the hang of it!

ingredients:
1 large eggplant, peeled and cubed
2 tbs salt
4 tbs olive oil
1 medium onion, chopped
2 celery ribs with leaves, chopped
1 green bell pepper, chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced
3 medium boiling potatoes, chopped
1 x 28 oz can tomatoe puree
1 cup vegetable broth
1/8 tsp red pepper flakes
1 tsp dried basil

instructions:
1. place eggplant in colander and toss with salt
2. let stand for at least 1 hour
3. rinse well, drain and pat dry






I forgot to peel the eggplant!!
whoops!




4. heat 2 tbs oil
5. add eggplant, stir until lightly brown (~5 min)

6. transfer to plate and set aside
7. heat remaining 2 tbs oil
8. add onion, celery, bell pepper, and garlic, stir until softened (~5 min)

9. add eggplant and potatoes

10. and tomatoe puree, vegetable broth, red pepper flakes, and basil

11. bring to simmer
12. reduce heat and cover, stir occassionally until potatoes tender (~1 hour)
13. eat!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mmmm...eggplant. I love eggplant; in fact, I just made a wicked eggplant mushroom stew yesterday. If I had checked out your site earlier, I probably would've opted for your stew recipe. Have you ever made anything with those purple sweetie potatoes?

Anonymous said...

looks good. made me want to make something with curry and eggplant. let me know if you have any indian eggplant recipes!
i'll try this one too though!!!
i like the step by step pictures.