Thursday, April 12, 2007

candle with care: music to hold hands to

Look what came for me today:

It's the end of an era. Or at least the end of Candle Records. In a panic I ordered all the Lucksmiths and Darren Hanlon recordings I was missing. I can be a bit of a completist when there is a sale.

If I could only listen to one band for the rest of my life, it would have to be The Lucksmiths. I love them. Not only are they extremely catchy but their craftsmanship of the English language never ceases to amaze me. So many times I'll be dancing around my apartment like a loser and then struck absolutely still by the beauty of it.

How does Tali White sing so flawlessly while banging the drums at the same time? It's a mystery.

Though I've got to say, of all my new CDs, I like the cover art of Darren Hanlon's Hiccups EP the best. Brilliant.

I am such a sucker for a catchy tune and smart lyrics. There's a long list of songwriters that just break my heart.

And now instead of my taxes, I'll have to rearrange my CD shelf.




you can't keep a secret
but you keep a diary anyway
and you get away with murder
because you've got a way with words


This was supposed to be a knitting blog, but whatever.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ack! Knitting's dull. ;p

Music is life's accompaniment; its lifelong partner. This is exactly what I've always thought about the Lucksmiths but have never found the right words to express it: "...their craftsmanship of the English language never ceases to amaze me." So, so true. I really admire writers, lyricists, and singers who can narrate life and love in a way I cannot fathom doing because I simply do not have that talent.

Looks like you got a great stash there! I should really do that, if their shop is still open.

Do you know I still haven't heard Darren Hanlon?!